Original Name: Gloria Jean Watkins
Pen Name: Bell Hooks
Notable Books: Ain’t I a Woman? Black Women and Feminism(1981), Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center(1984), All About Love: New Visions(2000)
Also here we included the best bell hooks quotes and sayings on education. Let’s read…
1. Education was about the practice of freedom.
2. I celebrate teaching that enables transgressions – a movement against and beyond boundaries. It is that movement which makes education the practice of freedom.
3. Education that connects the will to know with the will to become. Learning is a place where paradise can be created.
4. The classroom, with all its limitations, remains a location of possibility. In that field of possibility we have the opportunity to labor for freedom, to demand of ourselves and our comrades, an openness of mind and heart that allows us to face reality even as we collectively imagine ways to move beyond boundaries, to transgress. This is education as the practice of freedom.
5. All of us in the academy and in the culture as a whole are called to renew our minds if we are to transform educational institutions-and society-so that the way we live, teach, and work can reflect our joy in cultural diversity, our passion for justice, and our love of freedom.
6. Whether we’re talking about race or gender or class, popular culture is where the pedagogy is, it’s where the learning is.